Skip to main content

About Contractor Agreements & Guidelines

What type of contract do I use?

There are different scenarios that require different types of contracts.  Please read each type carefully in order to process your request.


Lecturer/Performer Agreement

The Lecturer/Performer Agreement is to be used for single appearance or limited run engagements, such as an assembly.  A Lecturer/Performer does not typically work directly with students.


Professional Services Agreement

Professional services are typically special services and advice in financial, economic, accounting, engineering, legal, or administrative matters if such persons are specially trained and experienced and competent to perform the special services required.  A professional service has different procurement procedures and insurance requirements than other types of services and therefore, require that a specific type of contract be used to engage these services.


Independent Contractor

An Independent Contractor is an individual that works independently, within a specific scope of work, for a set fee, and within a defined period of time.  Independent Contractors must meet certain criteria established by the Internal Revenue Service.

Does the contract need Board approval?

Per Board Policy 3312, the Board may, by a majority vote, delegate to the Superintendent or designee the authority to enter into contracts on behalf of the district.  To be valid or to constitute an enforceable obligation against the District, all such contracts must be approved and/or ratified by the Board.  The only administrators authorized by the Board to sign contracts are the Superintendent, Deputy Superintendent, and Associate Superintendents.


Amount Range

Board Item Type


Up to $49,999.99

Purchase Order

Does not require prior board approval but will be ratified.  A purchase order must be issued before supplies are ordered or work begins.

$50,000 to Bid Limit and Zero Cost contracts

Action Item

For projects not considered 'Public Works' projects*. The appropriate department will take a formal contract as a separate action item to the Board for approval. A physical contract must be executed; it can be either the District's template or the vendor's contract. Independent contractors and consultants must pass the IRS guidelines. A purchase order and contract must be signed before supplies are ordered or work begins. 

At or above Bid Limit

Action Item

For Public Works projects* over $200,000 (CUPCCAA limit). Also for supplies/materials/equipment/services (such as maintenance and repairs) that are either sold or leased to the District that are valued over the Bid Limit shown below.  A physical contract must be executed; it can be either the District’s template or the vendor’s contract, but the District’s contract is preferred as it has all of the necessary provisions in it.  Supplies cannot be purchased, services cannot begin, and the contract cannot be signed until the Board approves the contract.  When such contracts are over the bid limit, they must be competitively bid or be subject to a “piggyback” contract that allows use of a competitively bid contract for the exact types of supplies or services in the bid.  Independent Contractors and consultants must pass the IRS guidelines.
A purchase order and contract must be signed before supplies are ordered or work begins.


2019 Formal Bid Limits



*Public Works projects are defined by Labor Code 1720(a)(1)-(7) as “construction, alteration, demolition, installation, or repair work (including maintenance) done under contract and paid for in whole or in part out of public funds. “  CUPCCAA limit. Not adjusted annually.


Items subject to competitive bidding: purchase or lease of equipment, materials or supplies; services that are not construction; and repairs/maintenance as defined in PCC Section 20115 that are not public works.  Adjusted annually for inflation.